Sunday, September 6, 2015

Gloomy Paris, France

As soon as I arrived in Paris, I was welcomed by a pair of unexpected people. A little girl out of the blue appeared and bumped into me. A woman who looked like her mother said “Sorry” and they left behind us. My husband told me that he saw the little girl was trying to put her hand into my pocket. Fortunately, I did not put anything in my pocket. The first impression of Paris gave me an alram.

Whenever I heard  ‘Montmartre hill’, I imagined artists on the streets playing music or exhibiting their masterpieces to sell. It is so romantic. That is why I decided to stay in a hotel near Montmartre hill during my stay in Paris. Much to my surprise, Montmartre hill is, however, one of the most crime-ridden areas in Paris. On the way to my hotel from the subway station, I saw homeless people were lurking around.
Myrabella(2012). Butte Montmartre from centre Pompidou. Retrieved September 6, 2015, from https://commons.m.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Butte_Montmartre_from_centre_Pompidou.jpg

People I met in Paris gave me an awful impression, they were totally rude and unkind. For example, after getting out of subway, we did not know to which direction we had to head to get to a hotel and my husband asked an attendant who sat in an information center for help.  The attendant did not even bother to have a look the hotel address on the paper we held and just said that no idea. While we were still standing there not to decide which direction to go, another tourist asked the same attendant for something. The attendant still showed disrespectful attitude, soon enough the tourist got angry and turned on his heel and left. I heard that you can not expect any kindness in France, unless you speak French. I think it might be true at least in Paris.
(After that, I traveled many cities in France and most people who I met were very nice and kind.)

3 comments:

  1. Ditto!! When I traveled in France 10 yrs ago, I got the same negative impression like you. To tell the truth, because my parents studied in France for 8 yrs, they always had been thought France was their second home country or so.
    However, when my family visited France as travelers, we were robbed in Nice!! OMG....
    Sadly, the robbery is my strongest impression of France.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto!! When I traveled in France 10 yrs ago, I got the same negative impression like you. To tell the truth, because my parents studied in France for 8 yrs, they always had been thought France was their second home country or so.
    However, when my family visited France as travelers, we were robbed in Nice!! OMG....
    Sadly, the robbery is my strongest impression of France.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. That's one of the worst things that could happen when traveling :(

      Delete